Teach English in Hungary
Teach English in Hungary
TEFL jobs in Hungary
In Hungary, TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) career prospects might include a wide range of teaching positions catering to various age groups, language competency levels, and educational contexts. Here are some examples of frequent TEFL career options in Hungary:
Language Schools: Many language schools in Hungary provide English language lessons to pupils of all ages, from young children to adults. In a language school, you may teach group classes, one-on-one lessons, or specialty courses such as business English or exam preparation (e.g., IELTS, TOEFL).
Primary and Secondary Schools: TEFL teachers may be hired by some public and private primary and secondary schools in Hungary to assist with English language instruction. These employment may entail working with local instructors to give English courses as part of the normal curriculum.
Universities and Colleges: Students seeking degrees in English or other topics that need English fluency may be instructed in English at universities and colleges. These occupations may necessitate advanced qualifications and a solid academic record.
Offering private English classes can be a flexible method to earn money in Hungary. Private coaching may cater to students preparing for examinations or individuals looking to improve specific language skills.
Corporate Training: Many companies in Hungary acknowledge the value of English language skills for their personnel. English language training for business communication may be provided by TEFL teachers.
Hungary has a diverse cultural heritage influenced by its history and neighbors. The country is well-known for its folk music, dance, and art. Hungarian cuisine includes robust foods such as goulash and paprika-based soups, as well as sweets like as chimney cake and strudel. Budapest is famous for its ancient and pleasant thermal bathhouses, which are an intrinsic part of Hungarian culture.
Hungary’s economy is varied, having strengths in manufacturing, technology, and services. Budapest is a startup and technology hotspot. Professionalism and collaboration are valued in the workplace. The industry and specific employment might have an impact on work-life balance.
Hungary is well-known for being less expensive than many Western European countries. While expenses vary based on the city and your lifestyle, accommodation, food, transportation, and recreational activities are generally less expensive than in Germany or the United Kingdom. Budapest, the capital city, has greater living costs than smaller cities and rural areas, yet it is still less expensive than other European capitals.
To obtain the most up-to-date cost of living figures, we use the world’s biggest cost of living comparison website, Numbio.com.
- Accommodation: €250-€500
- Utilities: €136.80
- Health insurance: €2
- Monthly transport pass: €24.83
- Basic dinner out for two: €39.19
- Cappuccino in an ex-pat area: €1.98
- A beer in a pub: €1.83
- 1 litre of milk: €1.07
TEFL jobs in Hungary: KEY POINTS
€5 and €10 per hour
BA degree preferred
MAIN JOB TYPES
International schools and language schools
TEFL CERTIFICATION NEEDED
180 Hour TEFL Qualification
- Popular locations for TEFL jobs: Budapest: As Hungary's capital city, Budapest has a diverse range of TEFL career options. There are numerous language schools, universities, and private institutions that provide English language classes to a broad student community. Debrecen is a city in eastern Hungary with various universities and educational institutions. It may provide opportunities to teach English to university students. Szeged: Szeged is another university town recognized for its scholarly atmosphere and foreign student population. Language schools and universities may have TEFL positions available.
- English teacher salaries in Hungary : English teachers in language schools may be paid on an hourly basis. Hourly charges might range from €5 and €10 per hour. This depends on the reputation of the institution, the area, and the level of kids you're teaching.
- TEFL qualification requirements: At least a 180-hour TEFL qualification
- Prerequisite university degree: Many employers, including language schools and international schools, may require TEFL teachers to have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field. However, the field of study may vary depending on the institution.
- Term times: Hungary is usually separated into two semesters, with each having its unique set of term dates. Please keep in mind that particular term dates may differ from one institution to the next and may have changed since then. For the most up-to-date information, it is best to contact the specific school or university. Here is a broad summary of Hungary's academic term times: Autumn Session: Spring Semester: Begin: Early September End: Late December Beginning in early February and ending in late May
- Currency: Hungarian Florint
- Language: Hungarian
- Teaching programmes: Teaching adults or children in private language schools as well as international schools or as a private tutor.
- Age restrictions: None
- Previous teaching experience: is desirable for many roles but not essential
Facts about Teach English in Hungary the Complete Guide for TEFL Teachers | Reviewed August 2023
TEFL JOB DEMAND
OUR HUNGARY TEFL RATING
TEFL jobs in Hungary: FAQS
How much can I earn as an English teacher in Hungary?
English teachers in language schools may be paid on an hourly basis. Hourly charges might range from €5 and €10 per hour. This depends on the reputation of the institution, the area, and the level of kids you’re teaching.
Is Hungary expensive to live in?
Although Hungary is considered to be more reasonable to live in than many Western European countries, the cost of living can still vary depending on factors such as your lifestyle, location within the country, and personal preferences.
Can I teach English in Hungary without a degree?
A degree is usually required for teaching English in Hungary, especially if you want to work in formal educational institutions like schools or universities.
Become a confident, qualified English teacher with flexible online, classroom or mixed learning.
With accommodation, training and full in-country support sorted - it's the hassle-free way to kick-start your TEFL career
Check out new TEFL job listings on our sister company's well-stocked jobs board.